My favorite movies

Darkness Falls
Ok, I know this isn't all that great a movie. The acting was pathetic. But I still loved it. All those quickie scares, where you never knew when something was going to happen.

     150 years ago, the townspeople of Darkness Falls killed an old woman. They later found out she hadn't done anything wrong. She cursed them all. She used to give the children a gold coin for every tooth they lost. Now, she comes to get their last baby tooth. If they see her, she kills them.
      The night Kyle lost his last tooth, he saw her. She didn't manage to get him, but she did kill his mother. Except everyone thought he killed her. Now he's an adult. His old friend, Caitlin, calls him and wants him to tell her how he cured his night terrors. Her little brother has them and hasn't slept in a long time. Kyle visits and the terror spreads quite quickly. The old woman still plans on getting Kyle, but she keeps missing. The only defense is light. It's painful to her.
        The little boy is the only good actor in this show. He does a great job. But I still loved it. It's nonstop action, creepy atmosphere, and a plot that holds together fairly well. It's my favorite horror movie. Very little gore, but lots of suspense and scares.

Hudson Hawk
The movie Hudson Hawk. I've heard it listed as one of the worst 100. Funny, but it's in my family's top 10. It's a spoof of burglars, action, conspiracies and quite a bit more. The Hawk is a burglar being blackmailed by pretty much everybody into stealing Da Vinci art. The characters are fun, quirky, outrageous, and goofy. I never fail to laugh at this one. People want to look at this as a straight action movie. If you look at it that way, it's pathetic to watch. But it's not straight action. It's tongue in cheek spoofing. James Coburn and Bruce Willis are so straight faced while they do the most outrageous things. I do love this movie. If you like laughing, this is way better than Airplane!

G.I.Joe
It's based on the comic book, but takes a few liberties. I can't say how much, because I didn't read a lot of them. I only read enough to know about the romance between Snake-Eyes and Scarlett, which isn't in this, and why Snake-Eyes doesn't speak (which isn't the same as in the movie).

     The G.I.Joes are the best of the best from a variety of nations. This is where they first meet Cobra, their arch-enemy. It introduces Duke and Ripcord as new members.
      I like group dynamics, or teams. I always have. This is nowhere near the best of the superhero movies, but I like it. I rented it, and liked it. Then rented it again later. I finally gave in and bought the darn thing, just because I enjoy watching it and I was tired of renting it. It's a fun action movie, and it's very neat seeing all the familiar faces from The Mummy movies. Can you spot Brendan Fraser?
     It doesn't have the quality of the other hero movies, or the plot cohesiveness, but it sure is a lot of fun to watch. I prefer it to the grimness of the Batman movies (I know, shame on me) or even my beloved X-Men. It leaves you feeling good and energized, not depressed. That's kind of important sometimes!

No comments: